Tuesday 21 June 2016

Day 21 - 30 Days Wild - Leaping lizards at lunchtime!


* Today's random act of wildness - Lunchtime river walk *

Day 21 - In work and going to an art exhibition tonight so managed to get out lunchtime with Dan and had a walk along the River Tawe. There was a specific spot I remember last year that was full of bee orchids so that's what we went looking for.

We started looking for the flowers and found alot of different insects along the way including the following...

Swollen Thighed Beetle (female)
Thanks to Paul Sergeant & Adele Price for helping me ID this 
Common Blue Butterfly
Ringlet Butterfly
Some small Aphid bug (needs IDing)

There were no sign of the orchids, but judging by the pic below (which is from my 2015 blog) I saw them on the 10th June last year - so I must have either left it too late or they haven't flowered yet. A bit disappointed because they are lovely to see, but the disappointment didn't last long when we stumbled across this gorgeous fellow...

Bee Orchid from last year
Leaping lizards! Look what we found on our lunch break...I have never seen these guys so near to Swansea City Centre, but they were just off the cycle path near quite a built up area. Such a pleasant surprise and  I wonder how many others there are?

Gorgeous lizard
Here's a closeup!

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera, so a HUGE thank you to my other half Dan for helping me out with his camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment